Mnyb;686860 Wrote:

> Make the scanning better in about a 100 different ways.
>
> It's must be so good that end users do not notice other than the time
> spent at the initial scan, this should be the only full scan ever
> needed. Adding incrementally over the years should give you the exact
> identical dB as scanning the whole lot agian with the exceptions of the
> added dates .
>
> Do not force rescans with updates build software that migrates old dB
> to new dB .
>
> Store all information it's a dB rigth, do not rescan because some
> setting change for the UI on how to include or present artist or
> anything like that. It's for the aplication itself to fix this not the
> dB.
>
> Do not crash the scanner, note " flawed " files in the scanner logs in
> human readable form with a fault description that makes sense to end
> users to ( of course keep the current info on where in the code it went
> wrong ) .
> After not crashing it goes on building a dB with files it can read, so
> the user always end up with a usable system .
>
> Do not interupt music playback when scanning ! Ever .
>
> Make it yet again possible to BMF while scanning.
>
> db should be avaible gradually so that you could start using lms while
> the dB is still being built.
>

> Upgrades ? Keep mysqueezebox.com backwards compatible at least 2 major
> realeses . Users that do not upgrade can ofcourse not use new services
> or functionality or bugfixes.
>
> Scanning and upgrades is many users main complains about the software,
> they are afraid of upgrades because they anticipate scanning problems
> to ? And the smattering of new bugs with each version.

While I agree on the quality assurance part I don't agree on that we
need more technical improvements.

In my system, scanning is like less than 1% of the total usage time and
more than 99% is spend on listening to the music. I'd like improvements
related to those 99% instead of putting all focus on something the
system do less than 1% of the time.

Also, in my setup, when I get a new CD I spend at least 10 minutes of
ripping and tagging, often more if the CD isn't already available with
metadata on Musicbrainz, after this I spend a few minutes maximum to
scan it into the library. It would help me a lot more if I got
improvements of the ripping/tagging part instead of the scanning part
as the ripping and tagging usually takes more time.

Of course, many people today doesn't purchase CD's they get their music
as an electronic download or through a streaming service. In the case of
streaming service, which is probably quite common, scanning isn't even
involved at all. In the case of electronic download I'm fairly sure you
rarely get scanning problems because those files aren't corrupt or
encoded in incompatible ways.

So my wish would be to focus on the stuff that matters, basically,
focus on stuff which is relevant when you listen to music instead of
focus on something that takes up 1% of the total usage time.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets (both free and commercial)'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland).
If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third
party plugin/applet development, 'consider purchasing some plugins'
(http://license.isaksson.info))
Interested in music discovery ? See 'Social Music Discovery (SMD)'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=656713) project.