I just copied my git repository with the 7.8 checkout from my linux box
to C:\ProgramData\lms\server.  I then copied my cache directory and
prefs directory from the linux box to C:\Users\Public\lms.  Then after
installing ActivePerl-5.14.2.1402-MSWin32-x86-295342.msi, I tried
running slimserver.pl from this batch file:

lms_debug.cmd

Code:
--------------------

  @echo off

  cd C:\ProgramData\lms\server

  C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe slimserver.pl --prefsdir=C:\Users\Public\lms\prefs
--logdir=C:\Users\Public\lms\log --cachedir=C:\Users\Public\lms\cache
--charset=utf8 --diag --d_startup
  pause

Didn't run.  It died complaining about DBI.  Then I blew away ALL my
cache data and prefs data (i.e. starting with completely empty cache &
prefs dirs.)  This time it started up like a charm with no complaints
and it's scanning my music folder now.