Philip Meyer wrote:
> >1. My Music/Album Artists/Various Artists contains too much, it lists
> >all compilations but it should really only list the albums ALBUMARTIST
> >tag has explicitly been set to "Various Artists".
>
> Should it?  I'm not sure, as it sounds like it is working the same as
> how the current application Artists > Various Artists behaves.
>
> "Various Artists" is a special entry that really means "any compilation
> album" rather than "any album with an album artist of Various Artists".
> If the music library setting was changed to use "Compilations" instead
> of "Various Artists", then a user would argue that the list had the
> correct content.
>
> This concept of having a "Browse Compilation albums" within Browse
> Artists is what causes the trouble.  You could instead expect to see all
> album artist names in the list irrespective of whether they are related
> to compilations or not, rather than gathered together under a  pseudo
> name.

In my case, in the LMS settings I change the default name from "Various
Artists" to "COMPILATIONS" in the LMS > Settings > my music >
"When compilation albums are grouped together, they appear under
"Various Artists" by default.  You can change that name below."

I also set it to "group compilation albums together"

In this way, I end up with the Compilations browsing under ARTISTS under
something called Compilations (rather than Various Artists). And
anything under Various Artists in my Artists Listing is something I have
definitely given the ARTIST or ALBUMARTIST name Various Artists (and
thus this does NOT include things I've labeled Compilations).  I also
leave Album Artist generally blank for compilations rather than
including VA there.  Because I use the Compilation tag, the compilations
are organized properly in any case.

*Location 1:* VortexBox 4TB (2.2) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Location 2:* VBA 3TB (2.2) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Office:* Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
*Spares:* VBA 4TB, SB3, Touch (3), Radio (3), CONTROLLER
*Controllers:* iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or
SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
Ripping (FLAC) - dbpoweramp, Tagging - mp3tag, Streaming - Spotify