What we really need is to:
- List all albums for the contributor
- Group the list into different sections by contributor role

How would you imagine this in the UIs? New sub-menus for those roles?
Our options there are a bit limited.

Ideally, I'd want a flat list with some kind of section divider, like:
======
Album1 (where the contributor is album artist)
Album2 (where the contributor is album artist)
--- Featured on ---
Album3 (where the contributor is artist)
Album4 (where the contributor is artist)
--- Performed on ---
Album5 (where the contributor is band)
Album6 (where the contributor is band)
--- Composed ---
Album 7 (where the contributor is composer)
Album 8 (where the contributor is composer)
--- Conducted ---
Album 9 (where the contributor is conductor)
Album 10 (where the contributor is conductor)

I personally would hate this :-). Maybe my collection is just not large enough to see the need for such categories...

I still think there are too many limitations to our UIs to make this work smoothly: the classic UI would no longer allow to jump by letter (as you mentioned), there's no way to distinguish a heading from an entry either. On fab4/baby there's no visually appealing way to distinguish the headings from the items, and the text key overlay wouldn't work any more. The web UI might be the easiest, but would still require some special handling for this layout.

And adding another level to the hierarchy sounds like a poor option, too. It would be the easiest to implement, though. And if we made it optional, oh well...

--

Michael