>But under 'Album Arstists', 'Various Artists' appears nowhere. :(
>Considering that it was included in an ALBUMARTIST tag, I find that
>surprising. Is it being explicitly excluded from this list for some
>reason?

I'm guessing the reason is that this view is used when the server option for
one artist list is chosen; it's just tailored to remove the compilation
grouping when two artist lists option is chosen.

I think this is unnecessary/unwanted logic - the Album Artists view should just
be a list of artists that have albums (a distinct list of contributors with
role=Artist or Album Artist).  There's no need to look for compilations and
exclude them.  "Various Artists", or whatever the album artist name may have
been set by the user in tags, should still be regarded as a valid name for
display in a list of artists that have albums.  But I imagine it is awkward to
mess about with the logic too much whilst it is shared with the alternative
browsing behaviour for the original browse artists view.

What if you were to change one of your compilation albums to include an artist
called "Various Artists" on every track (so the Various Artists appears with
role=Artist)?  This might trick the view to include the entry in the list, and
when you browse Various Artists, it would include all work by that artist
(having any contributer role).