i'd really like to see playcounts, and the ability to build playlists
off same, with dynamic updating.  for instance, all tracks that contain
the genre Jazz, and have been played fewer than 2 times.

you can probably do this with some combination of erlands plugins, but
it's very kludgy (IMO). iTunes can do this quite easily.

If you think it's kludgy, then please get in touch with Erland. That's definitely the kind of features I'd leave to 3rd parties. I did not even merge my own SmartMix et al. plugins to the core code, because I'm convinced we should not add too many advanced features which are available as 3rd party solutions yet.

--

Michael