That said.... The id for me is usually different from the coverid in 7.9
and coverid is identical to artwork_id which I use for the thumbnails
which work....

I'm indeed puzzled by the fact that you're saying in previous versions you were able to get the artwork using the track ID. I yet have to find code which would do this mapping in 7.8.

So I'd give changing the precedence to "use coverid if present" a
chance.

If that works for you, that would be great.

Unfortunately not. It only seems to affect a few users. But they
consequently don't have cover art and neither Clear&Rescan nor clearing
the artwork cache seems to help.

Would one such affected user please provide me with a server.log (with artwork debugging enabled) and the library.db? Please zip those files in an archive using your forum nickname and upload to:

https://www.dropbox.com/request/T3RctyzGgNg0oFDubq6a

--

Michael