> What if you just use the multi output node lukas added recently, you could
> keep consistently the difference between renderlayers (each node) and the
> passes (each layer of the node)  does it make sense to you?
>
> Every output node is a layer
> Every input of an output node is a pass

You can simply "fake" render layers by adding a section to the name,
like "somelayer.passname" -> gets interpreted as render layer =
"somelayer", all passes with "somelayer." prefix get sorted into that
category in the image node. We might add a general prefix for per-node
render layers, but i won't start changing anything again unless there
really is consensus by core devs and users, this stuff is just too
prone to breaking in some way.