Hi all,

Since Ubuntu unity apparently uses around 64! keyboard shortcuts (and i prb
missed some) and blender itself also is kb hungry --and-- in conflict with
unity, Shinsuke Irie and myself have been trying to resolve this issue on
blender's side with no luck. Irie reported this to the unity dev's and it was
accepted as a bug
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/1108064). Because there
is no guarantee that this will be resolved on their side (if ever) before the
next release the only solution in my mind is to disable some of the shortcuts
unity uses and thus let blender work as expected (ctl-alt-numpad0, alt-A,
alt-H, alt-I, etc). The following describes what i did to make blender and
unity "behave".

install ccsm (sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager)
run ccsm
in filter textbox -> enter "ubuntu" -> select "Ubuntu Unity Plugin" on the
right
click on button labeled <Alt> (Key to show the HUD)
uncheck enabled and click OK
on the left click "Back" button
in filter textbox -> enter "general options" -> select "General Options" on the
right
click "Key Bindings" tab and click "<Contol><Primary><Alt>KP0" button (the
Minimize Windows entry)
uncheck enabled and click OK
close ccsm

Now blender shortcuts should work as expected and the impact on unity behaviour
is minimal in my mind.

If anybody knows of additional unity/compiz settings that interfere with
blender please report them.

I posted this here instead of BA because i think it might be a good idea to
communicate this on http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/ since without
these ccsm settings blender is in effect useless on unity.

best regards,

Patrick Zulke