TL;DR Am all for switching to python 3.8 in Blender 2.82.

TBH I would not be too much concerned about that VFX reference thing, waiting over ten years until a deprecated technology is finally officially not supported anymore to switch to a new, modern one sounds like a joke to me, especially in an industry that is always supposed to be at the tip of progress in techs!

And as Sybren said, py3.8 will support all of py3.7 features, so just write your code for 3.7 if you really want to stick to that 'industry standard' thing.

Bastien