BTW, I just tried to change Skim's PDF Bundle file type by using
a .pdf extension instead of .pdfd. And both Finder and BibDesk had
absolutely no problem with it. Although I expect this won't be working
on Tiger, as the only way to declare this properly is through UTIs,
and those are not fully supported by Tiger.

So the conclusion is that BibDesk does the right thing. If it does not
work for you for Iliad packages it's because Iliad does not properly
declare the file type, or you're using Tiger (in which case it's also
Iliad's fault, as they're asking for trouble with their setup).

Could you send me the Info.plist from Iliad, I wonder how they declare
this file type?

Anyway, I don't think BibDesk should try and fix this bug from Iliad.
Especially as this probably would mean special casing this situation,
which almost always is a bad thing to do.

I also advice you to send a bug report to irextechnologies.

Christiaan