Hi Christiaan,

Many thanks for your quick response.  Sorry to hear that you are the
only Bibdesk developer at the moment, but you still seem to be
churning out the updates.  Thanks for the program.

I agree that the iLiad bundle strategy is not ideal, but I guess they
felt it was simple to do it that way.  Note that it works for all
file types, not just PDF, which is necessary since the iLiad can read
various non-PDF formats too.

More responses in-line below...

On 12/08/2008, at 4:38 PM, Christiaan Hofman wrote:

> BTW, I just tried to change Skim's PDF Bundle file type by using
> a .pdf extension instead of .pdfd. And both Finder and BibDesk had
> absolutely no problem with it. Although I expect this won't be working
> on Tiger, as the only way to declare this properly is through UTIs,
> and those are not fully supported by Tiger.

I'm on Leopard, so this should be fine.

> So the conclusion is that BibDesk does the right thing. If it does not
> work for you for Iliad packages it's because Iliad does not properly
> declare the file type, or you're using Tiger (in which case it's also
> Iliad's fault, as they're asking for trouble with their setup).
>
> Could you send me the Info.plist from Iliad, I wonder how they declare
> this file type?

There is some confusion here.  There is no iLiad Info.plist file since
it's a separate hardware device, not a Mac app.  Or am I missing your
point?

The basic problem is the OS doesn't know better, so when I view one of
the iLiad-processed docs on the Mac, the finder opens on the folder,
since I guess it's the default app for opening folders/bundles.

I agree that the best solution would be to have an iLiad-specific file
type, but we would still need one of the PDF viewers to register as
being able to handle it, right?

I confirmed that if I manually change one of the iLiad-created .pdf
folders to be a .pdfd folder, then Skim can find the pdf file inside
with no problems.

> Anyway, I don't think BibDesk should try and fix this bug from Iliad.
> Especially as this probably would mean special casing this situation,
> which almost always is a bad thing to do.
>
> I also advice you to send a bug report to irextechnologies.

I can certainly try that, but since they would need to update the iLiad
firmware to fix this, I suspect they will not be too keen.  They're not
updating very quickly.

Another idea I had is a script hook on a new event like "Will Open File"
that allows me to intercept an open operation on a linked file and
redirect
it to an iLiad-created file if it exists.  What do you think?

Thanks again for your help.

cheers,
Tony