> On Oct 31, 2018, at 09:15, Christiaan Hofman <cmhof...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Can the FileView project be rewritten without using c++, in particular for
> fvzone.cpp. Xcode 10.10 does not support libstdc++ anymore, and Mac OS X 10.6
> does not have libc++. Unfortunately I do not understand much about what goes
> on in fvzone.

In theory, it could be rewritten in C, but it wouldn’t be easy; since I wrote
it a decade ago, I’d have to relearn the code myself. It’s conceptually simple,
but you have to understand how malloc zones work, and that’s only documented in
Apple’s source code.

I ran into this yesterday with a new system that has 10.13 and Xcode 10 on it,
and I’ll either drop 10.6 support or keep building TeX Live Utility with
whatever older Xcode I have at home. I no longer have the time or energy to
work around Apple’s SDK shortcomings, and replacing QTKit with AVFoundation was
annoying enough.

Since 10.6 hasn’t been updated since 2011, I don’t feel too bad about dropping
support for it. I’m sure I’ll hear from the three people who still use it that
their lives will be ruined if they have to keep using the prior version of my
program along with an OS from a prior decade <eyeroll dot gif>.

regards,
Adam