The way to do that is indeed to use a custom (RTF/HTML/Word)
template. You can set the template in the Display preferences. You
can add new (export) templates in the Templates preferences. The
default is the standard RTF template, which is more or less
equivalent to the Details preview. There is an explanation on the
Wiki on how to add and customize templates. They are typically places
in the folder ~/Library/Application Support/Bibdesk/Templates/.

Christiaan