Thanks for the help! This is great, and produces just the effect I
was after -- two column preview showing the abstract and the annote
field.

Let me admit to you, though, I am still quite bit confused about why
this works. Maybe my head's screwed on wrong, but here's a map of my
confusion in case you're curious how the interface looks to
unexperienced eyes.

When I saw the checkbox for "Export Templates" I thought those
templates were only used for exporting the bibtex library as a whole
(from the File / Export ) command. "Service Templates" sounded more
general and more promising, so I did experiment with those, although
I was aware they might only affect some OS X Service that BibDesk
offered.

Also, It took me a while to understand that the "Preview" button
previewed the bibliographic citation, and was unrelated to
functionality configured by the "Preview Display" setting. (Now my
understanding is that "Preview" button shows the same result as
Preview Display / PDF.)

Looking at the Templates preference pane itself, it seemed like a
central interface for registering template files. That's very nice.
But I don't understand how BibDesk knows which template to use where.
For instance, why does "Preview Display / Template" draw on my new
RTF template? What if I had changed the HTML template? I looked but
couldn't find anywhere a configuraiton for which template file
Preview Display uses. Or is that what the role "Main Page" means? Or
is the name  "Default X template" a special value which causes
BibDesk to use that template for previews and not others? (But in
that case, why is it even possible to register templates with other
names?)

In other words, I feel like there's some great functionality here in
the configuration of preview styles and document export formats, but
to me at least the interface doesn't make it very self-discoverable.

Sorry to sound critical. Just one man's opinion! Like I said, it's a
great app and I'm glad I've found it!

Alexis