On 6 Jul 2007, at 7:11 PM, Michael McCracken wrote:

> On Jul 5, 2007, at 9:10 PM, Christopher Eliot wrote:
>
>> Hi -
>>
>> Since nobody's taken up your request to add Bibdesk to Wikipedia's
>> comparison chart of reference managing software, I'm happy to do
>> it, if someone will provide me with the correct answers. I'm not
>> sure of most of them. I've included some guesses.
>>
>> Thanks! If you don't want to do this, I can put it to the users list.
>
> That's probably a good idea, as I don't know all the answers.
> I'll CC the list.
>

>> Chris
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
>> Comparison_of_reference_management_software
>>
>> General:
>>
>> Developer          BibDesk developers
>> First public release
>
> Wow, version 0.7b in April 2002 is the earliest I can track down…
>
>> Latest stable version          1.3.6
>> Cost (USD)          free
>> Open source          yes
>> License          GPL
>
> Actually, BSD. Some of the subprograms we package are licensed
> differently, though.
>
>> OS
>>
>> Windows          no
>> Mac OS X          yes
>> Linux          no
>> BSD          no
>> Unix          no
>>
>> Export:
>>
>> BibTeX          yes
>> Endnote/Refer/BibIX          yes

Not exactly. We can export EndNote XML.

>> Medline
>> MODS XML

yes

>> RIS          yes
>> Other

any (templates)!

>> Import:
>>
>> BibTeX          yes
>> Copac

no

>> CSA

no

>> Endnote/Refer/BibIX          yes

I think only Refer at present.

>> ISI

yes

>> Medline

yes

>> MODS XML

yes

>> Ovid

no

>> PubMed

yes

>> RIS          yes
>> SciFinder

no

>> Other

MARC, JSTOR, ReferenceMiner

>> Citation styles:
>>
>> APA                              [all of these get the footnote
>> JabRef gets, that citation styles are via BibTeX]
>> Chicago/Turabian
>> Harvard
>> MLA
>> Other
>> Extension method

templates

>> Citation file formats:
>>
>> HTML          yes
>> LaTeX          yes
>> RTF          yes
>> Plain text          yes
>> RSS

through templates, yes

>> Other
>>
>> Word processor integration:
>>
>> Microsoft Word          no
>> OpenOffice.org Writer          no
>> Kile/LyX          no

partly, we can push to a lyx pipe

>> Other

cocoa editors through input manager
any editor through services

>> Database connectivity:
>>
>> ArXiv
>> CiteSeer
>> IEEE Xplore
>> PubMed          yes
>> Other

z39.50
other Entrez databases

>> Password protection and network versions
>>
>> Passworded

no

>> Networking

no, but...

> There is a feature for networked sharing between Bibdesk users, but I
> don't know much about it…
>
>> User-specific permissions
>> Simultaneous write access

NA.