On Jul 29, 2007, at 13:38, Bertolt Meyer wrote:

> Hi,
>
>>> I like some aspects of programs/websites such as Connotea (by
>>> Nature.com) and Refworks (available via my UW-Madison library)
>>> whereby
>>> my bib always resides on the web and I can access/share it from
>>> anywhere... particularly useful if I am writing a paper on Google
>>> Docs
>>> and away from my Mac.
>>
>> I was thinking about that too. I am working on my iMac at home and on
>> my iBook at work. To always have an updated library on both computers
>> my library resides on my iDisk and I synchronize both computers,
>> but I
>> think that is rather awkward. To have a mechanism to share libraries
>> over the Internet would be perfect.
>
> Have you tried bibsonomy.org? It basically offers what you are looking
> for. You can upload your .bib file and share/manage it over the web
> (e.g. http://www.bibsonomy.org/user/bertolt). They also have an API
> and
> work on a JabRef connection (i.e. JabRef displyas your references on
> bibsonomy.org insted of your local .bib). Something similar for
> BibDesk
> would be really cool I think.

Does JabRef save it directly to the site, or just display it?  BibDesk
can display content from internet sources (or any kind of URL that OS
X recognizes, actually), if it's in a supported text format.  I notice
they have an RDF feed as well, and that's generally pretty easy to
read in BibDesk using a script group.

Read-write sharing would require a server and protocol to handle
multiple writers and authentication; rolling our own isn't very
attractive, so keeping the .bib file on a shared volume such as the
iDisk is probably the best solution at this time.  The iDisk should
also be accessible to latex/bibtex when you're actually working on a
document.

--
Adam