I am starting to work through the cataloging rules in order to
improve treatments of imports from z39.50 imports. First, I have a
question for Christiaan or some other developer about how the parsers
work. Does it work by reading the field numbers, and then the
indicator? For example, the following line was copied from the
"Annote" field of a BT record in BD that I imported from a library
catalog:

050 00 $aB358$b.C57

050 is the field number, while the first 0 is the first indicator and
the second 0 is the second indicator.

The question is, could the parser determine the value of the
indicators? These can provide important information about the
formatting of the contents of the field.

I take it that is possible identify the contents of a subfield, e.g.,
B358 in this case being subfield a, indicated by $a.

I am starting with subject terms, which I think should go into the
keywords field.

Second---It would be useful for people using the library catalog
import to email (off-list?) with particular issues they've had with
content or formatting difficulties they have noticed appearing on a
regular basis. Let me know which library you're getting the
references from.

Thanks everyone!

-Adam
Adam M. Goldstein PhD