On Nov 3, 2007, at 7:21 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> starting a new thread
>
> On Nov 3, 2007, at 4:06 PM, Adam M.Goldstein wrote:
>
>> Next question: I do a search, and I am looking at a google scholar
>> search page in the upper part of the window, and the scraped-off
>> bibtex records in the bottom part. Then, I go to the next page of the
>> search by selecting the "2" at the bottom of the page for page 2 of
>> the search. But the BibTeX at the bottom of the window stays the
>> same.
>> How do I get the new references on page 2?
>
> What do you mean by "BibTeX"?  I see the usual publications table and
> whatever preview I've selected.  The new references should be
> automatically loaded up, and they are in my test here.

OK, yes, sorry, what I meant was: the records represented on the table
view, which must be well-formed BibTeX records to be loaded up there.

>> I notice that it takes a really long time (30 secs or so at least) to
>> load up the second page; the reload arrow to the right of the url
>> field is an "X" for a while. Does this reflect BibDesk's scraping
>> action, and is maybe why the new references aren't appearing?
>
> There's also a spinner in the group table.  How many results are you
> showing at once?  With 10 results per page here, the next page loads
> almost instantaneously.

I am showing 10 at once only. I'm not seeing the near instantaneous
that the web page showing in the upper pane does not match the table
in the bottom pane.

Maybe this is in response to bad references, the bug you refer to in
later in the thread.

Quitting BD and restarting doesn't have any effect on this.

I do see the spinner in the table, as well.

>> Another suggestion: Can there be web groups in the same way that
>> there
>> are Z30.50 search groups? Instead of entering a url into the field, I
>> enter a search key in google scholar; then the url shows up and I
>> pick
>> up references by moving around through the pages.
>
> Right now there's a single web group, and I don't know if this would
> be possible; I think it would require crafting the URLs for each site
> (if I understand what you're asking).  There are still some UI
> questions open on this feature, too.

Yes, I understand---here is what I was thinking.

Current process:

(1) Go to web browser, conduct a google scholar search.

(2) Copy URL into field in BD, get the page loaded up, and watch the
references table become populated with bib records.

(3) Navigate to successive pages and get more references.

Suggested change in interface, guts, and process:

(1*) Open a google scholar search field in BD and enter the search keys.

(2*) BD sends the search to google scholar, and loads the URL in the
URL field (In lieu of (2) above.

(3*) As (3) above.

Suggested model for UI: the url and search fields on safari. A small
search field next to a longer url field. The search key is entered
into the search field and the url loads up in response.

A drop-down in the search field allows someone to choose which of the
available web searches is to be conducted (google scholar and whatever
the other two are, that I forget).

Adam M. Goldstein PhD
Assistant Professor of Philosophy
Iona College