Hi Andy,

On Nov 7, 2007, at 5:55 PM, Andy Green wrote:

> So is this something that ADS should/could fix?  Admittedly, I know
> very little about how this works, but it seems from the ADS record
> syntax, that they support several different return formats including
> SUTRS and some form of XML. Now if the XML they're returning is
> nonsensical, then maybe it's something ADS could fix. Or maybe they
> could add a syntax which more closely matches something the parser in
> BibDesk is used too.
>
> I'll be happy to contact them to see if they could help out from
> their end.

Either of those options would be fine with me.  We support MARC21,
which is a standard format for z39.50, and MODS is semi-supported.
Supporting Dublin Core XML isn't a problem, but it would really help
to have valid XML to start with.  I am /not/ an XML expert, so I just
accept what my tools tell me.

Running xmllint on an ADS entry (appended) in TextMate gives a list of
errors:

validity error: Validation failed: no DTD found !

<record><dc:identifier>2007arXiv0710.5836G</
dc:identifier><dc:title>Tidal synch ^
error: Namespace prefix dc on identifier is not defined

<record><dc:identifier>2007arXiv0710.5836G</
dc:identifier><dc:title>Tidal synch

<record><dc:identifier>2007arXiv0710.5836G</
dc:identifier><dc:title>Tidal synchronization of the subdwarf B binary
PG 0101+039</dc:title><dc:creator>Geier, S.</
dc:creator><dc:creator>Nesslinger, S.</dc:creator><dc:creator>Heber,
U.</dc:creator><dc:creator>Randall, S. K.</
dc:creator><dc:creator>Edelmann, H.</dc:creator><dc:creator>Green, E.
M.</dc:creator><dc:source>eprint arXiv:0710.5836</
dc:source><dc:date>2007-10-01</dc:date><dc:subject>Astrophysics</
dc:subject><dc:relation>http://adsseeks.cfa.harvard.edu/abs/2007arXiv0710.5836G
</dc:relation><dc:description>Tidally locked rotation is a frequently
applied assumption that helps tomeasure masses of invisible compact
companions in close binaries. Thecalculations of synchronization times
are affected by largeuncertainties in particular for stars with
radiative envelopes callingfor observational constraints. We aim at
verifying tidally lockedrotation for the binary PG 0101+039, a
subdwarf B star + white dwarfbinary from its tiny (0.025 %) light
variations measured with the MOSTsatellite (Randall et al. 2005).
Binary parameters were derived from themass function, apparent
rotation and surface gravity of PG 0101+039assuming a canonical mass
of 0.47 Mo and tidally locked rotation. Thelight curve was then
synthesised and was found to match the observedamplitude well. We
verified that the light variations are due toellipsoidal deformation
and that tidal synchronization is establishedfor PG 0101+039. We
conclude that this assumption should hold for allsdB binaries with
orbital periods of less than half a day. Hence themasses can be
derived from systems too faint to measure tiny lightvariations.</
dc:description></record>