So is this something that ADS should/could fix? Admittedly, I know
very little about how this works, but it seems from the ADS record
syntax, that they support several different return formats including
SUTRS and some form of XML. Now if the XML they're returning is
nonsensical, then maybe it's something ADS could fix. Or maybe they
could add a syntax which more closely matches something the parser in
BibDesk is used too.

I'll be happy to contact them to see if they could help out from
their end.

Cheers,
Andy

from the Server Config Outline:
Record Syntax Supported

Value                        Description         Databases
1.2.840.10003.5.101          SUTRS Records       All
1.2.840.10003.5.109.3        HTML Records        All
1.2.840.10003.5.109.10       XML Records         All
1.2.840.10003.5.1000.147.1   ADS Tagged Records  All