I would say it's worse than that. Plain text isn't a bibliography
format, it means "a bunch of characters". How can you recognize and
parse that? Filters need some structure, and a way to recognize that
structure. And they should also understand that they're not the only
suppliers on the world. So I strongly disagree with their "should be"
if they don't give a handle on that, their format is simply not
identifiable.

Christiaan