On 9 Mar 2008, at 11:35 PM, Justin C. Walker wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> I am getting this in the system log:
>
> Mar  9 15:06:17 zippo BibDesk[15674]: *** -[NSAutoreleasePool
> dealloc]: Exception ignored while releasing an object in an
> autorelease pool.  exception: 'Premature end of Base64 string'
> invoked method: '*** -[BibDocument release]'  object: 0x17548b90
>
> When I run BibDesk (10.5.2; 1.3.14), it won't open the default .bib
> file.  There is no indication of a problem other than this entry in
> the system log and the fact that I don't get a bib window.
>
> Is there any way to nail down what's going on?  All of the Bdsk-File-?
> lines in the file seem fine (I got them all into one file, 'split -l1'
> the result, and ran 'base64' on each; no complaints).
>
> The .bib file is ~5500 lines long, so I don't feel like doing
> surgery :-}.  Is there a hidden default to make BibDesk 'fess up to
> what line is at fault (the Errors window is empty)?
>
> Thanks as always,
>
> Justin
>
> --
> Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large
> Institute for the Absorption of Federal Funds

There is no easy way to find out where it goes wrong. I hate it that
the Omni frameworks raise an exception when they fail. Could you
perhaps send me the file off-list so I can try and figure out what
goes wrong? In the next nightly BibDesk will at least not crash on
this, though it may loose the bad link. That may in fact be a way to
figure out which one gave problems, if you display a Local File column.