On 3/18/08, Christiaan Hofman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
>  >>>>>
>  >>>>> So, is there any way to re-construct the location of the linked
>  >>>>> file?
>  >>>>> I don't have any issues with achieving better capability through
>  >>>>> the
>  >>>>> use of BD-specific, Cocoa-specific encodings, as long as the
>  >>>>> encoded
>  >>>>> information can be decoded upon export.
>  >>>>>
>  >>>>
>  >>>>
>  >>>> In BibDesk you can get it through copy/paste and AppleScript. You
>  >>>> can
>  >>>> also automatically synchronize a text field such as Local-Url with
>  >>>> the
>  >>>> first linked file using a script hook (there is one available on
>  >>>> the
>  >>>> Wiki).
>  >>>
>  >>> I am assuming it is
>  >>>
> http://bibdesk.sourceforge.net/scripts/LocalFileToLocal-UrlScriptHook.scpt
>  >>>
>  >>> however, I am getting the following error --
>  >>>
>  >>> An error has been encountered in accessing this page.
>  >>>
>  >>> 1. Server: bibdesk.sourceforge.net
>  >>> 2. URL path: /scripts/LocalFileToLocal-UrlScriptHook.scpt
>  >>> 3. Error notes: File does not exist:
>  >>> /home/groups/b/bi/bibdesk/htdocs/scripts/LocalFileToLocal-
>  >>> UrlScriptHook.scpt
>  >>> 4. Error type: 404
>  >>> 5. Request method: GET
>  >>> 6. Request query string:
>  >>> 7. Time: 2008-03-18 09:23:16 PDT (1205857396)
>  >>>
>  >>
>  >>
>  >> Fixed. URLs and paths are generally supposed to be case insensitive,
>  >> so i don't know why this did not work.
>  >>
>  >
>  > Thanks Christiaan. Got it this time.
>  >
>  > I have to bother you a bit more to figure out how to make this work. I
>  > put the script in ~/Library/Application Support/BibDesk/Scripts.
>  > Restarted BD for good measure. Selected all my entries, and chose to
>  > run this script from the scripts menu in BD. Nothing happened. This
>  > was what was obvious to me, but obviously this isn't the way to run
>  > this script, no?
>  >
>  > I have about 205 entries, and I want to sync local file to local URL
>  > field for all of them.
>  >
>  > Many thanks,
>  >

> It's a script hook, those don't do anything when run as a script.  Add
>  it in the Script Hook preferences. And read the help. You can also
>  easily make a normal script from it, there was a link for this in a

I am totally drawing a blank here. I am looking at the help for Script
Hooks, and what should be obvious to me is not at all obvious to me.

I have two cols -- "Name" and "Script File". I am not sure to which
"Name" I should attach the aforementioned script hook. I have tried
"Change Field" as well as "Did Auto File".

The extended help for Script Hooks says, "Sometimes you want to
perform a particular AppleScript every time a certain action occurs.
For example, you might want to have field that depends in a definite
way on some other fields, so it can be handy if Bibdesk would auto
generate this field for you. This is already built in for the Local
File fields and the Cite Key, but what about other fields? As another
example, you might want to commit a linked file to cvs or subversion
whenever the file is moved by Auto File."

Right. Kinda like TRIGGERs in a SQL database. Except, in this case I
want to sync two fields in my 205 existing entries. Perhaps one of you
AppleScript gurus can guide me on this.