On 5 May 2008, at 1:38 AM, James Howison wrote:

> I just added Doi as a default field in my library.  Quite a few
> references already had it.  I created a new reference and copied in a
> value for the Doi field in the Edit window.
>
> I was surprised that it didn't show up in the Files section, because
> those items that had a Doi now had a link to the dx.doi.org resolver.
> Adding the Doi column did give me a clickable link.
>
> I tested a bit in a new bibliography and if I closed the bib then re-
> opened it I got the 'migration' dialog pane, and once I said Convert
> the Doi link showed up in the Files pane.
>
> The same happens for URL (or Eprints fields), so I assume this is
> about fields typed "Remote URL".

Yes, automatic conversion takes place only for when items that don't
have linked objects yet are added (either through import or by opening
a file). There is no reliable way to do that otherwise, or you'd get a
lot of duplicates. And you can always convert manually. It's also
meant mainly for migration to the new system, as the URL fields are
mostly deprecated.

> So is there a recommended way to add Doi so that the library doesn't
> have to be 'converted' again to have them show up in the Files pane?
>
> For URLs (starting with http:) I can simply paste into the Files pane,
> but this doesn't work when one has a Doi on the pasteboard (I guess
> because it doesn't start with Doi). (since DOIs aren't URLs how would
> one sniff that one has a DOI?)

That's the big question, and we don't know.

> I find it a little non-intuitive that simply adding a URL to the URL
> field or a string to the Doi field, after one has converted one's
> library doesn't add them to the Files pane.

Remember they're deprecated, and deprecated functionality is not
supposed to work intuitively.

> Thx,
> James
>
> ps. I think implementing the paste into File Area for DOI might be
> hard since there is no easy way to tell that a string is a DOI:
>
> http://info-uri.info/registry/OAIHandler?verb=GetRecord&metadataPrefix=reg&identifier=info:doi/

Exactly, that's why it can't be done. It also shows what the use of a
scheme is. A DOI is actually pretty stupid.

Christiaan