On May 4, 2008, at 4:38 PM, James Howison wrote:

> I just added Doi as a default field in my library.  Quite a few
> references already had it.  I created a new reference and copied in a
> value for the Doi field in the Edit window.
>
> I was surprised that it didn't show up in the Files section, because
> those items that had a Doi now had a link to the dx.doi.org resolver.
> Adding the Doi column did give me a clickable link.

The Doi field is the only way to recognize and support Doi at present,
since it's otherwise impossible to recognize them.  Since they don't
have a scheme, they're not a valid URL for the files pane; if you drag
one in, it shows up with the bizarre generic URL icon, and you don't
get a thumbnail.  I added a delegate method to my source tree for
opening these, but even that requires a doi: scheme (IIRC) to work
reliably.

> I tested a bit in a new bibliography and if I closed the bib then re-
> opened it I got the 'migration' dialog pane, and once I said Convert
> the Doi link showed up in the Files pane.
>
> The same happens for URL (or Eprints fields), so I assume this is
> about fields typed "Remote URL".

It converts local and remote URLs, just as it always has...

> So is there a recommended way to add Doi so that the library doesn't
> have to be 'converted' again to have them show up in the Files pane?

Prepend http://dx.doi.org and drop it on the file pane?  I wish I had
a better answer.  You'd almost need a separate well to drop them, or
maybe an AppleScript could read the pasteboard and convert the Doi to
a URL?

> For URLs (starting with http:) I can simply paste into the Files pane,
> but this doesn't work when one has a Doi on the pasteboard (I guess
> because it doesn't start with Doi). (since DOIs aren't URLs how would
> one sniff that one has a DOI?)

If you have a doi: scheme it ought to accept the drop, but it may not
open correctly.  And you're quite right: you can't detect them, so
it's hard to improve on this.

> I find it a little non-intuitive that simply adding a URL to the URL
> field or a string to the Doi field, after one has converted one's
> library doesn't add them to the Files pane.

If you consider Doi and Url as legacy fields, it might make more
sense; in general, you should only use Url if it's part of the BibTeX
type.  Doi is an ugly special case; the Doi field does some magic to
convert it to a resolvable URL.

--
adam