On May 7, 2008, at 5:00 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Christiaan Hofman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> On 7 May 2008, at 10:33 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

>>> RIS at least has a published spec; unfortunately, BibDesk is doing a
>>> crappy job exporting it.  I never noticed this because BibDesk can
>>> read
>>> its own output back in (and I never tried Endnote).
>>>
>>> Basically the problem is that BibDesk has a dictionary mapping RIS
>>> tags
>>> to BibTeX, so TI = title; T1 = title; T2 = title; and does a reverse
>>> dictionary lookup to find that title = (TI, T1, T2), and picks the
>>> first
>>> one.  However, those are actually in random order, so the result
>>> varies
>>> wildly.
>>>
>>> What really needs to be done:
>>>
>>> 1) create a dictionary mapping BibTeX field->RIS tag
>>
>> Just added this one, so that should be better now. Though I'm not
>> sure
>> I've done it right.
>>
>>     PubMedTagsForBibTeXFieldNames = {
>>         Abstract = AB;
>>         Address = AD;
>>         Annote = N1;
>>         Author = AU;
>>         Booktitle = BT;
>>         Editor = ED;
>>         Isbn = SN;
>>         Journal = JO;
>>         Keywords = KW;
>>         Language = LA;
>>         "Local-Url" = L1;
>>         Medlineref = UI;
>>         Pages = PG;
>>         Title = TI;
>>         Publisher = PB;
>>         Status = PS;
>>         Url = UR;
>>         Volume = VL;
>>         Year = PY;
>>     };
>
> I'm not sure either, but that will at least give consistent
> results :).
> Hopefully someone has the Copious Free Time to check against the spec.
> We have a mix of PubMed and RIS in the type dictionaries,
> unfortunately,
> and that adds some extra confusion.

I'm having a look at the spec (at refman.com) and it seems that there
are some slightly different mappings depending on the TY.  eg:

> Title Primary. Note that the BT tag maps to this field only for
> Whole Book and Unpublished Work references. This field can contain
> alphanumeric characters; there is no practical length limit to this
> field.

Meh, re-reading that I'm not sure that it matters.  I think that if
one always Title = T1 and Booktitle = T2 then we might be ok (although
that's assuming that Endnote follows that convention, it doesn't in
the sample code, but it might parse it ok).

Definitely need to add

Number = IS;
Month = Y2;

Actually the specification for PY is kinda intense:

YYYY/MM/DD/other info

http://www.refman.com/support/risformat_tags_03.asp

Not even sure if Endnote users it.  I think the examples my colleague
provided suggest that Year = Y1; Month = Y2 is a better plan.

btw, do you guys think that all the output formats should be
standardized as templates?  I find it a bit confusing, for example,
that you get BibTeX or RIS in the Save As, some different ones in
Export and different set still in the Copy As context menu.

--J