On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 7:41 PM,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Hi There,
> I am sorry to bother you, but I found myself rather lost when using Bibdesk.
> I truly love it, and I am physicist/chemist using BibTeX for quite some
> time, but I am fairly new to mac and to Bibdesk. I would like to ask, if you
> can somehow search Web of science. Or, if you can't, how you at least import
> stuff you already found? What is (or should be) the typical workflow?
>
> In my case, it's so: I find my papers, using safari/camino browser, download
> them to a folder, give them some stupid name, which doesn't follow
> well-thought pattern, then close browser and open them in Preview and copy
> and paste author,title and other fields to Bibdesk, where I end up filing
> new local url for corresponding pdf file. It's rather slow and frankly
> annoying.
>
> I bet it can do better. Can you please kick me in the right direction?
>
> Yours,
> Jirka C.

I just thought I'd add, since I haven't seen it mentioned yet, that
Google Scholar has an option to display BibTex for results. Go to
Scholar Preferences and select "Show links to import citations in
Bibtex".

So my workflow is usually to search the title and or author: field in
google scholar (where I often find the paper anyway), click on the
appropriate citation, copy it and paste it into Bibdesk (although I
will check out the Services menu after the tip in this thread).

The entries from Google can be of mixed quality - but it's certainly
enough for maintaining your own archive. I've found some
inconsistencies in journal abbreviations, author names etc. that need
to be cleaned up before publication (ie proof read the typeset
bibliography carefully) but overall I find it a major time saver.

After downloading I add the file (easy to find whatever name the
archive gives it since it's most the most recently downloaded) to the
new entry in bibdesk and let it autofile.

Most of the papers I read aren't in pubmed and I find login's/proxies
for web of science and other university paid for services more
inconvenient so I find this the easiest way.

Cheers

Robin