On 3 Jun 2008, at 10:03 PM, Richard Davis wrote:

> I have a bib file with many book entries including a 'series' field. I
> wish to keep this field and the information that it contains, but I do
> not wish the book series to appear in my bibliography.
>
> In my preferences 'series' is neither required nor optional. I would
> have thought that this would make it ignored.
>
> Anyway when I create my bibliography and footnotes in latex (TexShop
> with jurabib on a Mac) the book series appears. I could go through the
> database and delete all the appearances of series but don't really
> want to do this.
>
> --
> rad

Your bibliography generated in latex is generated by bibtex. This
program does not care about your BibDesk preferences. How the
bibliography is formatted depends entirely on the style you're using,
in your case jurabib.

If you just want to keep the series information in BibDesk and want to
have it ignored, you can either change the bibtex style (which usually
is hard), or move the information to another field that's ignored by
bibtex. An AppleScript would be well suited for that (I think there's
one doing this linked on the Wiki).