I use mercurial, mostly because before leopard it was easiest to get a
repository up and running on.  Leopard comes with SVN so this is less
true now.  As for latex specific diff I've had luck with both of
these.

<http://www.jpaisley.com/software/ruby/rb-latex-diff/>
<http://www.robmar.net/TexDiff/>

Peter