To be precise, it's a base64 encoded (keyed) archived dictionary
containing a relative path and a file alias (an alias stores a full
path and a file ID). It is designed to support a large range of
storage procedures, as it can find a file by relative path, absolute
path, and file ID (in that order). This means that you can
- move/rename the .bib file (as it stores full paths)
- move/rename a linked file (as it stores file IDs)
- move the .bib file and linked files together (as it stores relative
paths)
- copy the .bib file and linked files togther, even between different
machines (as it stores relative paths)

Christiaan