On 22.12.2008, at 11:03, Christiaan Hofman wrote:

Yes, I know that. And other packages add yet many other citation
commands. That's why I say: why not 3, or 4, or 5, or ....
And you're not working with latex, but word. One reason latex packages
add different commands is that the command determines the style. In
your case, the choice of template determines the style. Getting the
style from a combination of various choices is only confusing, and
annoying to the user. There is no compelling reason for it, you
wouldn't mix styles in a single document.

I think it would definitely make sense to settle on a number of citation commands and not just one which could be defined in a template. At least in my field, having only one possibility for in- text citations severly limits the usefulness of this whole setup. How many commands actually make sense, is something we can discuss here. At least in humanities with in-text citation the following cases are common:

1. Name and Year in parens: (Smith 1999)
2. Name and year without anything: Smith 1999
3. Name and year with only the latter in Parens: Smith (1999).
4. Only Title: The Article

One could argue, whether one actually needs 1 and 2 as seperata cases since the parens for case 1 could be done by hand with case 2. On the other hand, I sometimes also just want to cite the year. So after a quick glance at this, I think four citation command would be enough for my needs. Now the question is whether other users would need much more for productive work.

simon

--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

„Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.“ General Buck Turgidson