On Dec 31, 2008, at 1:47 PM, Chris Borst wrote:

I did a Cited References search on Web of Knowledge and downloaded the
resultant records, including the Cited References, in BibTex format.

I wonder if that can be used from BibDesk's internal ISI search feature...

These files were then opened in BibDesk and copy-and-pasted into a
single file (there are several multiples of 500). I then started working with the results and it became apparent that the Cited References field wasn't parsing properly. BibDesk appears to be splitting items at commas
rather than at periods/line breaks. This results in authors, years,
volumes, and publications appearing separately in the left-hand pane -- and most authors to appear as the latter part of entries beginning with
page numbers!

What does a "Cited References" field look like?

Without knowing what these fields are, my guess is that you're running up against the way multivalued group fields are parsed. Take a look at

http://bibdesk.sourceforge.net/manual/BibDesk%20Help_33.html

and see if it answers some of your questions. Splitting on "." might be possible, but newlines are removed during parsing (except for annote/abstract).

--
Adam