On Jan 6, 2009, at 11:31 PM, Chris Borst wrote:

Thanks for your help Adam. Yes, that worked, by and large. My apologies for not finding it in going through the Help docs. Absolutely, the issue
is multivalued fields.

The "by and large" reflects two continuing, but entirely workable, problems:

(1) As a multivalued field, only the first and last items in the list
are bounded by { or }, so {ARISTOTLE shows up separately from ARISTOTLE.
(2) Many references also contain their DOI numbers, which contain
periods and so end up parsed as (multiple) groups. Though I haven't yet
changed the default setting to '.  ' to see what effect that has.

Splitting on "." isn't a good long-term solution, but now at least we know what the problem looks like.

There's also the obvious challenge that many references to the same item
end up grouped separately, either due to ISI's sloppy data entry
practices, authors sloppy citation practices, or quite proper citations of different editions or pages of a work. But those are easily enough met.

Just for future reference, a Cited References field looks like this:

Cited-References = {{{*}DOH, 2001, NHS PERF RAT AC TRUS.
  {*}DOH, 2002, NHS PERF RAT INTR.
  AKKERMANS HA, 2005, J OPER RES SOC, V56, P931, DOI
10.1057/palgrave.jors.2601923.
  BARKER RM, 2004, BRIT MED J, V329, P107.
  BOHRNSTEDT GW, 1994, STAT SOCIAL DATA ANA.

After staring at this for a while, I realize that you're using BibTeX as downloaded from ISI, and I missed that in your original message :).

Try downloading the ISI source instead of BibTeX, since that gives BibDesk an opportunity to split those values correctly. If you do that, you also need to revert BDSKGroupFieldSeparatorCharactersKey to its default value, since they should be separated by semicolon.

--
Adam