On 26 Jan 2009, at 6:57 PM, Rolf Schmolling wrote:

Hi Christiaan,

sorry for my amateur ideas. Some questions: given that Skim would overwrite any openmeta-tags when saving in context of making annotations etc. on papers managed by BibDesk, would it be possible to re-write those tags back AFTER Skim did its work? Would that call for BibDesk to do this or could this be done by Skim/started by Skim or linked to the paper's folder one (and BibDesk) uses?

I mean are steps like this: look for paper in BibDesk (previously applying openmeta-tags based on keywords in Bibdesk to the linked file/pdf), open it with Skim, annotate it, save it and starting some (script-)action to look for the keywords in Bibdesk and re-apply them?

Thanks a bunch.

Rolf

I don't really understand your question. What do you mean by "those tags"?

Remember that currently Skim does not handle and mess with open meta tags. If Bibdesk would handle the tags, it would read/write them immediately, it would not manage them in its own data model. Similar to the way Finder labels are currently handled.

This is the real difference between Skim and BibDesk, because if Skim would handle tags, it would be part of its data mode rather than edit them immediately on the filel (because that's how a document based app should behave). In other words, BibDesk manages /references/ to the files, while Skim manages the /data/ for the files.

Christiaan