Perhaps this could be added to the Groups menu(s), as "New Group
from .aux file" or "New Group from LaTeX document".  This would make
it much more easily discoverable.  A dialog box should then ask the
user to locate the .aux file.

By Group(s) menus I mean the Action menu at the bottom of the Groups
pane, and the Groups section of the Database menu.

Yes, it's a little more clutter, but it's a fairly FAQ which seems
hard to discover unless you already know it exists ...

--J