Am 26.08.2009 um 00:46 schrieb Maxwell, Adam R:

> On 08/25/09 13:54, "Alex Hamann" <mailingl...@alex-hamann.de> wrote:
>
>>> Especially when you've stored them (or your database) on a separate
>>> volume it may be more dependent on the mount type and your
>>> connection
>>> than on the computer that you use. It also depends on your URL field
>>> conversion options in the Fields prefs.
>>>
>>> Christiaan
>>
>> Ah, ok. I might do a complete reinstallation when Snow Leopard gets
>> delivered. Your times sound more like what I expected. I just checked
>> with a different file that contains only 800 items and 50 linked
>> files
>> and it also took some 20-30 sec to load.
>> Anyway, thanks for the reply.
>
> Is this with a nightly build or the last release?  IIRC there's a
> big memory
> hit when loading files that's fixed in nightly builds.
>
> Regardless, if you can sample BibDesk while loading, that will avoid
> all
> this guesswork :).  Double-click BibDesk in Activity Monitor, start
> your file in BibDesk, then click the "Sample" button on the Activity
> Monitor
> panel.

It's the release version.
Here is a semple:

Sampling process 721 for 3 seconds with 1 millisecond of run time
between samples
Sampling completed, processing symbols...
Analysis of sampling BibDesk (pid 721) every 1 millisecond
Call graph:
     1924 Thread_2507
       1924 start
         1924 _start
           1924 main
             1924 NSApplicationMain
               1924 -[NSApplication run]
                 1924 -[NSApplication
nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:]
                   1924 _DPSNextEvent
                     1924 _NSHandleCarbonMenuEvent
                       1924 _HandleMenuSelection
                         1924 _HandleMenuSelection2
                           1924 MenuSelectCore(MenuData*, Point,
double, unsigned long, OpaqueMenuRef**, unsigned short*)
                             1924 FinishMenuSelection(MenuData*,
MenuData*, MenuResult*, MenuResult*, unsigned long, unsigned long,
unsigned long, unsigned char)
                               1924 SendMenuItemSelectedEvent
                                 1924
SendMenuCommandWithContextAndModifiers
                                   1924 SendHICommandEvent(unsigned
long, HICommand const*, unsigned long, unsigned long, unsigned char,
OpaqueEventTargetRef*, OpaqueEventTargetRef*, OpaqueEventRef**)
                                     1924 SendEventToEventTarget
                                       1924
SendEventToEventTargetInternal(OpaqueEventRef*, OpaqueEventTargetRef*,
HandlerCallRec*)
                                         1924
DispatchEventToHandlers(EventTargetRec*, OpaqueEventRef*,
HandlerCallRec*)
                                           1924 AppKitMenuEventHandler
                                             1924 -[NSCarbonMenuImpl
performActionWithHighlightingForItemAtIndex:]
                                               1924 -[NSMenu
performActionForItemAtIndex:]
                                                 1924 -
[BDSKApplication sendAction:to:from:]
                                                   1924 -
[NSApplication sendAction:to:from:]
                                                     1924 -
[NSDocumentController(NSPrivate) _openRecentDocument:]
                                                       1924 -
[NSApplication openFile:ok:]
                                                         1924 -
[NSApplication _doOpenFile:ok:tryTemp:]
                                                           1924 -
[NSDocumentController(NSInternal) _openFile:]
                                                             1924 -
[BDSKDocumentController openDocumentWithContentsOfURL:display:error:]
                                                               1924 -
[NSDocumentController openDocumentWithContentsOfURL:display:error:]
                                                                 1924 -
[NSDocumentController makeDocumentWithContentsOfURL:ofType:error:]

1924 -[NSDocument initWithContentsOfURL:ofType:error:]

1924 -[BibDocument readFromURL:ofType:error:]

1924 -[BibDocument readFromURL:ofType:encoding:error:]
                                                                         1924
  -[BibDocument readFromBibTeXData:fromURL:encoding:error:]
                                                                           1924
  -[BDSKItemSearchIndexes addPublications:]

1891
  -[BibItem skimNotesForLocalURL]

1884
  -[NSURL(BDSKExtensions) textSkimNotes]

 1876
  -[NSFileManager(SKNExtensions)
readSkimTextNotesFromExtendedAttributesAtURL:error:]

   1876
  -[SKNExtendedAttributeManager
propertyListFromExtendedAttributeNamed:atPath:traverseLink:error:]

     1817
  getxattr

       1817
  getxattr

     55
  -[SKNExtendedAttributeManager
extendedAttributeNamed:atPath:traverseLink:error:]

       42
  getxattr

         42
  getxattr

       7
  -[SKNExtendedAttributeManager bunzipData:]

         4
  BZ2_bzDecompress

           4
  BZ2_decompress

             4
  BZ2_decompress

         2
  BZ2_bzDecompressInit

           1
  BZ2_bzDecompressInit

           1
  malloc

             1
  malloc_zone_malloc

               1
  szone_malloc

                 1
  large_and_huge_malloc

                   1
  mmap

                     1
  mmap

         1
  BZ2_bzDecompressEnd

           1
  free

             1
  munmap$UNIX2003

               1
  munmap$UNIX2003

       3
  +[NSPropertyListSerialization
propertyListFromData:mutabilityOption:format:errorDescription:]

         3
  _CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData

           3
  __CFTryParseBinaryPlist

             3
  __CFDictionaryGrow

               3
  __CFDictionaryGrow

       2
  -[NSCFString UTF8String]

         1
  -[NSCFString UTF8String]

         1
  bytesInEncoding

           1
  bytesInEncoding

       1
  -[SKNExtendedAttributeManager
extendedAttributeNamed:atPath:traverseLink:error:]

         1
  malloc_zone_malloc

           1
  szone_malloc

             1
  small_malloc_from_free_list

               1
  small_malloc_from_free_list

     3
  +[NSPropertyListSerialization
propertyListFromData:mutabilityOption:format:errorDescription:]

       3
  _CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData

         3
  __CFTryParseBinaryPlist

           3
  __CFDictionaryGrow

             2
  __CFDictionaryGrow

             1
  malloc_zone_malloc

               1
  szone_malloc

                 1
  large_and_huge_malloc

                   1
  mmap

                     1
  mmap

     1
  objc_msgSend

       1
  objc_msgSend

 8
  -[NSWorkspace(BDSKExtensions) UTIForURL:]

   8
  -[NSWorkspace(BDSKExtensions) UTIForURL:error:]

     8
  -[NSWorkspace(BDSKExtensions) UTIForURL:resolveAliases:error:]

       5
  -[NSURL(BDSKExtensions) fileURLByResolvingAliases]

         5
  BDCopyFileURLResolvingAliases

           4
  CFURLCreateFromFSRef

             4
  _CFCreateURLFromFSRef

               4
  __CFCarbonCore_FSRefMakePath

                 4
  FSRefMakePathInternal(FSRef const*, unsigned char*, unsigned long)

                   4
  FSMakePath(short, unsigned long, char const*, unsigned long, char*)

                     4
  FSMount::getattrs(unsigned long, char const*, unsigned long,
unsigned long, FSAttributeInfo*, unsigned long, unsigned char*)

                       4
  VolFSMount::_getattrs(unsigned long, char const*, unsigned long,
unsigned long, FSAttributeInfo*, unsigned long, unsigned char*)

                         4
  GetVolFSAttributes(VolumeInfo*, unsigned long, char const*, unsigned
long, unsigned long, FSAttributeInfo*, unsigned long, unsigned long,
FSVolAttributeInfo*, unsigned char*)

                           4
  getattrlist$UNIX2003

                             4
  getattrlist$UNIX2003

           1
  FSResolveAliasFileWithMountFlags

             1
  ResolveAliasFileWithMountFlagsCommon

               1
  AL_UnicodeFileNameSuffixMatches

                 1
  ConvertUTF16toCanonicalUTF8

                   1
  LLConvertUCS2toUTF8

                     1
  LLConvertUCS2toUTF8

       3
  LSCopyItemAttribute

         3
  _LSCopyItemAttributeForRefInfo

           3
  _LSCopyItemAttributeForRefInfoWithOptions

             2
  _LSFindOrRegisterBundleNode

               2
  _LSGetBundleClassForNode

                 2
  FSNodePrepareCatalogInfo

                   1
  FSGetCatalogInfo

                     1
  PBGetCatalogInfoSync

                       1
  ConvertPOSIXNametoUTF16

                         1
  ConvertUTF8toUTF16

                           1
  LLConvertUTF8toUCS2

                             1
  LLConvertUTF8toUTF16

                               1
  LLConvertUTF8toUTF16

                   1
  _FSNodeSetMoreInfo

                     1
  calloc

                       1
  malloc_zone_calloc

                         1
  szone_calloc

                           1
  __bzero

                             1
  __bzero

             1
  _LSCopyNodeAttribute

               1
  _LSCopyNodeAttribute_ContentType(LSNodeAttributeStateCache*)

                 1
  _LSTypeDataInitForNode(LSContext*, LSTypeData*, FSNode*, __CFString
const*, unsigned long)

                   1
  _LSTypeDataGetBestType(LSContext*, unsigned long, LSTypeData*)

                     1
  _LSGetTypeForUTIChars(LSDatabase*, XCFChars const*, unsigned long*)

                       1
  _UTGetActiveTypeForIdentifier

                         1
  CSStringBindingGetBindings

                           1
  CSArrayGetValues

                             1
  CSStoreGetUnit

                               1
  GetVariableUnitClientBytesLength(VariableUnit const*)

                                 1
  GetVariableUnitClientBytesLength(VariableUnit const*)

7
  -[BDSKLinkedAliasFile URL]

 7
  CFURLCreateFromFSRef

   7
  _CFCreateURLFromFSRef

     7
  __CFCarbonCore_FSRefMakePath

       6
[...]

  VolFSMount::hfsstandard()

                   1
  VolFSMount::hfsstandard()

       1
  FSRefMakePath

         1
  FSRefMakePath
                                                                             24
  SKIndexAddDocumentWithText

23
  IAIndexAddDocWithTextStream

 23
  TIAIndex::Add(OpaqueIADocKeyRef*, OpaqueIATextStreamRef*, unsigned
char)

   17
  TermIndex::AddDocInternal(IADoc*, unsigned int,
OpaqueIATextStreamRef*)

     14

TermIndex::DefaultInvertDocumentToUpdateSet(OpaqueIATextAnalysisRef*,
IADoc*, OpaqueIATextStreamRef*, unsigned long*)

       5
  IADefaultTokenizerGetNextToken

         5
  GetNextTokenWithSKTokenizer

           5
  GetNextTokenWithSKTokenizer

       3
  CFSetGetValue

         3
  __CFSetFindBuckets1b

           2
  __CFSetFindBuckets1b

           1
  TermUpdateCFSetEqualCallBack(void const*, void const*)

             1
  TermUpdateCFSetEqualCallBack(void const*, void const*)

       2

TermIndex::DefaultInvertDocumentToUpdateSet(OpaqueIATextAnalysisRef*,
IADoc*, OpaqueIATextStreamRef*, unsigned long*)

       1
  CFAllocatorAllocate

         1
  CFAllocatorAllocate

       1
  IADefaultTextAnalysisCreateTokenizerNew

         1
  AIATMalloc

           1
  malloc_zone_malloc

             1
  __spin_lock

               1
  __spin_lock

       1
  TaskAllocatorAllocate

         1
  valloc

           1
  malloc_zone_valloc

             1
  large_and_huge_malloc

               1
  mmap

                 1
  mmap

       1
  TermUpdateCreate(__CFAllocator const*, unsigned char*, unsigned long)

         1
  CFAllocatorAllocate

           1
  CFAllocatorAllocate

     1
  BTree::Put(IAOrderedStorable*)

       1
  BTree::PutInternal(Page*, Page*, PageEntry*, IAOrderedStorable*,
unsigned int)

         1
  BTree::PutInternal(Page*, Page*, PageEntry*, IAOrderedStorable*,
unsigned int)

           1
  BTree::RebalanceNonRoot(Page*, Page*, PageEntry*, unsigned int)

             1
  BTree::RebalanceTwo(Page*, PageEntry*, Page*, Page*, unsigned int)

               1
  Scroll::Initialize(Page*, PageEntry*, Page*)

                 1
  ListNextNode

                   1
  ListNextNode

     1
  DocUpdateSet::Put(DocUpdate*, DocUpdate*)

       1
  IASkipListPut

         1
  ListPut

           1
  ListSearch

             1
  ListCompare

               1
  DocUpdateCompare(void const*, void const*, void*)

                 1
  IADoc::Compare(IAOrderedStorable const*) const

                   1
  CFStringCompare

                     1
  CFStringCompareWithOptions

                       1
  CFStringCompareWithOptionsAndLocale

                         1
  CFUniCharGetBitmapPtrForPlane

                           1
  CFUniCharGetBitmapPtrForPlane

     1
  IDDocCount::~IDDocCount()

       1
  IDDoc::~IDDoc()

         1
  IADoc::~IADoc()

           1
  IADocKeyRelease

             1
  __compare_and_swap32

               1
  __compare_and_swap32

   4
  TIAIndex::GetDocState(OpaqueIADocKeyRef*)

     4
  TIAIndex::BuildDoc(OpaqueIADocKeyRef*, unsigned char, unsigned char*)

       3
  TermIndex::DocInDocUpdateSet(IADoc*, unsigned int*)

         3
  DocUpdateSet::Get(DocUpdate*, DocUpdate*)

           3
  IASkipListGet

             3
  ListGet

               3
  ListSearch

                 3
  ListCompare

                   3
  DocUpdateCompare(void const*, void const*, void*)

                     2
  IADoc::Compare(IAOrderedStorable const*) const

                       2
  CFStringCompare

                         2
  CFStringCompareWithOptions

                           2
  bcmp

                             2
  bcmp

                     1
  DocUpdateCompare(void const*, void const*, void*)

       1
  IADoc::~IADoc()

         1
  _CFRelease

           1
  _CFRelease

   2
  TIAIndex::BuildDoc(OpaqueIADocKeyRef*, unsigned char, unsigned char*)

     2
  TermIndex::AddDocInfo(IADoc*, unsigned int)

       2
  BTree::Put(IAOrderedStorable*)

         2
  BTree::PutInternal(Page*, Page*, PageEntry*, IAOrderedStorable*,
unsigned int)

           2
  BTree::PutInternal(Page*, Page*, PageEntry*, IAOrderedStorable*,
unsigned int)

             1
  BTree::RebalanceNonRoot(Page*, Page*, PageEntry*, unsigned int)

               1
  BTree::RebalanceTwo(Page*, PageEntry*, Page*, Page*, unsigned int)

                 1
  Scroll::Initialize(Page*, PageEntry*, Page*)

                   1
  ListCount

                     1
  ListCount

             1
  BTree::SplitOne(Page*, Page*, unsigned int)

               1
  BTree::NewPage(bool)

                 1
  Page::Page(unsigned long)

                   1
  IASkipListNew

                     1
  ListNew

                       1
  AIATMalloc

                         1
  malloc_zone_malloc

                           1
  szone_malloc

                             1
  large_and_huge_malloc

                               1
  mmap

                                 1
  mmap

1
  IATextStreamCreateFromCFString

 1
  TextStreamCreateFromCFString

   1
  CFStringCreateCopy

     1
  __CFStringCreateImmutableFunnel3

       1
  _CFRuntimeCreateInstance

         1
  __bzero

           1
  __bzero
                                                                             4
  -[BibItem allPeople]

3
  -[BibItem people]

 3
  -[BibItem peopleInheriting:]

   3
  -[BibItem rebuildPeopleIfNeeded]

     3
  +[BDSKBibTeXParser authorsFromBibtexString:withPublication:forField:]

       2
  -[BibAuthor initWithName:andPub:forField:]

         2
  -[BibAuthor(Private) setupNames]

           1
  BDStringCreateComponentsSeparatedByCharacterSetTrimWhitespace

             1
  BDStringCreateComponentsSeparatedByCharacterSetTrimWhitespace

           1
  _CFStringGetLength2

             1
  _CFStringGetLength2

       1
  +[NSMutableArray arrayWithCapacity:]

         1
  -[__NSPlaceholderArray initWithCapacity:]

           1
  __CFArrayInit

             1
  _CFRuntimeCreateInstance

               1
  malloc_zone_malloc

                 1
  malloc_zone_malloc

1
  -[NSDictionary allValues]

 1
  +[NSArray arrayWithObjects:count:]

   1
  +[NSObject alloc]

     1
  +[NSArray allocWithZone:]

       1
  +[NSArray allocWithZone:]
                                                                             3
  -[BibItem allFieldsString]

1
  -[BibItem allFieldsString]

1
  -[BibItem crossrefParent]

 1
  -[BibItem valueOfField:inherit:]

   1
  -[BibItem valueOfField:inherit:]

1
  -[NSCFString appendFormat:]

 1
  _CFStringAppendFormatAndArgumentsAux

   1
  CFStringAppendCharacters

     1
  __CFStringChangeSizeMultiple

       1
  __CFStringChangeSizeMultiple
                                                                             1
  -[NSString stringByAppendingFormat:]

1
  -[NSString initWithFormat:arguments:]

 1
  -[NSPlaceholderString initWithFormat:locale:arguments:]

   1
  _CFStringCreateWithFormatAndArgumentsAux

     1
  CFStringCreateCopy

       1
  __CFStringCreateImmutableFunnel3

         1
  _CFRuntimeCreateInstance

           1
  __bzero

             1
  __bzero
                                                                             1
  SKDocumentCreateWithURL

1
  CFURLCopyResourceSpecifier

 1
  CFURLCopyResourceSpecifier
     1924 Thread_2603
       1924 thread_start
         1924 _pthread_start
           1924 __fv_zone_collector_thread(void*)
             1924 pthread_cond_timedwait
               1924 _pthread_cond_wait
                 1924 semaphore_timedwait_signal_trap
                   1924 semaphore_timedwait_signal_trap
     1924 Thread_2703
       1924 thread_start
         1924 _pthread_start
           1924 glvmDoWork
             1924 pthread_cond_wait$UNIX2003
               1924 __semwait_signal
                 1924 __semwait_signal
     1924 Thread_2803
       1924 thread_start
         1924 _pthread_start
           1924 __NSThread__main__
             1924 -[NSThread main]
               1924 -[BDSKAsynchronousDOServer runDOServerForPorts:]
                 1924 -[NSRunLoop(NSRunLoop) runMode:beforeDate:]
                   1924 CFRunLoopRunInMode
                     1924 CFRunLoopRunSpecific
                       1924 mach_msg
                         1924 mach_msg_trap
                           1924 mach_msg_trap
     1924 Thread_2903
       1924 thread_start
         1924 _pthread_start
           1924 __NSThread__main__
             1924 -[NSThread main]
               1924 -[BDSKDocumentSearch runSearchThread]
                 1924 -[NSConditionLock lockWhenCondition:]
                   1924 -[NSConditionLock lockWhenCondition:beforeDate:]
                     1924 -[NSCondition waitUntilDate:]
                       1924 pthread_cond_timedwait_relative_np
                         1924 _pthread_cond_wait
                           1924 semaphore_timedwait_signal_trap
                             1924 semaphore_timedwait_signal_trap

Total number in stack (recursive counted multiple, when >=5):
         6       malloc_zone_malloc

Sort by top of stack, same collapsed (when >= 5):
         semaphore_timedwait_signal_trap        3848
         __semwait_signal        1924
         mach_msg_trap        1924
         getxattr        1859
         getattrlist$UNIX2003        8
         GetNextTokenWithSKTokenizer        5
         __CFDictionaryGrow        5
Sample analysis of process 721 written to file /dev/stdout