On Jan 2, 2010, at 7:04 PM, M. Tamer Özsu wrote:

> Adam,
>
> I think the one mistake I was doing was not tabbing out of that field. I just
> ran another experiment: changed the style to abbr again (and checked to make
> sure that it was choosing abbr as the style), then went in and typed
> "apacite" manually and then hit tab. It did ask me if I really wanted to use
> this format although it is not standard style. Once I accepted it, all worked
> well. So, the problem was that I was not tabbing out of this field after I
> typed. I really had no idea that I needed to tab out -- if it was in the help
> files I missed it since I was looking at those before I posted originally.

Okay, that's understandable.  Tab or Return will cause validation and (if
possible) end editing on the current text field.  I'm in the habit of doing
that from early OS X days, so seldom think about it now.  The preferences
should probably do that when switching views or closing the window, if
possible…I know this has come up before, but maybe it wasn't fixed for all
views.

--
Adam