On 12 Jan 2010, at 01:15, Christiaan Hofman wrote:

>> With the %n[_]0 I end up with duplicates of the same pdf if I accidentally
>> drag the same pdf into bibdesk a second (or third) time.
>> This often happens because my Auto File folder has 2,600 pdf files in it.

sounds like a folder action might work if you can get the syntax of searching
for a file. I don't know if a folder action could interrupt BibDesk's operation
but it could give you a dialog box alerting you. or (more basic) reveal the new
file in the Finder so you can see for yourself (ie every time you drop a file
on BD, it would show you the resulting file. That would be a mix of efficiency
(no real work for the CPU) and what you need?