On Jan 19, 2011, at 2:15, Uli Wienands wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> I am new to Bibdesk, but not new to LaTeX & friends.
>
> In my present project (editing parts of a design report with multiple
> authors giving me LaTeX sources of their contributions) I have the
> following issue:
>
> We have a number of citations. Some authors have several documents
> listed under one citation key.
>
> E.g.
>
> \bibitem[ref:key1] {A. Author, Title, Journal etc... and\\
> B.Author, Title, Journal etc..}
>
> (There are variations to this theme like lab reports bearing the
> number of several labs [don't ask; in physics all sorts of things
> happen..)

Labs and such (corporate contributors) should be treated as authors. Put them
in braces to avoid bibtex from handling them as names.

> While I can handle these in "manual" bibliographies (\bibliography
> {99} ... \end{bibliography}) I am not sure how to put these in to
> BibTeX and, by extension, BibDesk. The multiple report numbers I
> think I can do using the Note field, but for the true multiple
> documents I do not know a good way. I suppose the Note would work
> here as well, with manually formatting things, but maybe someone has
> a smarter idea?

Such a situation cannot be handled in bibtex, and as an extension also not in
bibdesk. In bibtex each item has a unique cite key, and one set of authors, one
title, etc. There is no support for something like aggregrate items.

> Because I am editor, not author of the contributions I cannot make
> too drastic changes (so I can't tell my people not to do this). Also,
> I am not getting .bib files but the bibliographies are in the
> contribs. This is SOP in my area of work & not easily changed.

I keep being amazed at what weird non-standard "standard" practices certain
fields develop. Normally, if you reference multiple papers, you reference to
multiple references from the text. I find it a bit strange that /you/ have to
edit these papers in as much details as in editing the bibliographies, while
you have no way to ask for reasonable practices?

Anyway, when you have no way to change this practice, the only answer that
remains is that you cannot use bibtex.

> While I am at it; is there a way to add fields to the BibDesk records
> "en masse" i.e. by selecting multiple records? Sort-of like in iTunes
> where I can select multiple tracks and then add the composer in one
> operation.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Uli

You can use Edit > Find > Database Find and Replace.