I see no need for a hack such as

tell application "System Events" to keystroke "k" using {command down}

if you check your BibDesk preference

"Cite Key -> Cite Key Autogeneration -> Autogenerate the cite key wehn enough
fields are supplied"

Regards,
Andreas

On 23/11/2011, at 03:10 , Di Xiao wrote:

I'm writing an applescript to do the following

1) import bibtex from a webpage in safari
2) generate a cite key according to the auto generation rule set in preferences

Below is the part of applescript

tell document 1 of application "BibDesk"
activate
set myPub to first item of (import from theBibTeXString)
set selection to {myPub}
tell application "System Events" to keystroke "k" using {command down}
end tell

However, I ran into the following problem.  I use keyword groups.  If
BibDesk is already running and one of the keyword groups is selected,
then the the last line won't run because, unless the imported entry
has the same keyword, it won't be selected.  I checked the BibDesk
dictionary in Applescript Editor.  It seems that I can first select
the "library group" right after "activate".  But I cannot figure out
the proper way to do it.  Any help is appreciated.

D.