On Dec 27, 2011, at 1:26, Chris Goedde wrote:

> On Dec 26, 2011, at 5:08 PM, Christiaan Hofman wrote:
>

>> On Dec 26, 2011, at 22:17, Chris Goedde wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> In the errors window in Bibdesk (1.5.6), I see a lot of lines like:
>>>
>>> Master.bib 366 warning found " at brace-depth zero in string (TeX accents
>>> in BibTeX should be inside braces)
>>>
>>> I thought I would fix these so I double-clicked on a line, which brought up
>>> the "Edit Source" window. In this window I can edit the source and the
>>> window shows dirty, but I can't save anything (Save and Save As... are
>>> grayed out), and I can close the window without getting any warning or a
>>> request to save. Is it just me or is this functionality not functional?
>>>
>>> Chris
>>
>> This works as it is intended. If you want to open the edited bibtex you
>> should choose the Reopen button, after which you can save.
>
> I guess I don't understand. Here's what I did:
>
> 1. Open master.bib in BibTeX.
> 2. Open the errors window from the Window menu.
> 3. Double-click one of the errors I see there.
> 4. Fix the error in the "Edit Source" window.
> 5. Click Reopen. --> This creates master-1.bib.
>
> It's true that after step 5 the Save item is no longer grayed out, but now
> both master.bib and master-1.bib exist on my disk, and it's not clear which
> one I'm editing. (If I quite BibDesk at this point, they are both still
> there.) Can you elaborate on the intended workflow and why I'm getting a
> second copy of my bib file? (This is all on snow leopard.)
>
> Chris

You are editing master-1.bib. The text file you edited in step 4 is just some
auxiliary text data, that only exists in memory, it is not associated with a
document in the sense of the document architecture, so it is also not savable
data. After you have chose Reopen, it is saved to a .bib file which you then
edit in the usual way, associated to a document that can be saved.