On May 31, 2012, at 12:57, William Oquendo wrote:

> Could you please elaborate? I already looked at the apple script repo of
> bibdesk without finding one for this task. I am not an apple script expert
> and if you have an example for this particular task i would really
> appreciate. Thanks in advance.

It's really hard to tell, because, as you say, there is no standard way to get
this. You have to find something taylor made for your situation, as it depends
on where you get your information from and what kind of information those
sources can deliver and what information you want to get.

For instance, to update the Pages field for items that can be found on PubMed
you can do something like this to get you started:

tell front document of application "BibDesk"
        set thePubs to its selection
        repeat with thePub in thePubs
                set thePub to contents of thePub
                if value of field "Pages" of thePub is "" then
                        set theDOI to value of field "Doi" of thePub
                        if theDOI is not "" then
                                set theImportPubs to import for search term
theDOI
                                if theImportPubs is not {} then
                                        set theImportPub to (get item 1 of
theImportPubs)
                                        set thePages to value of field "Pages"
of theImportPub
                                        if thePages is not "" then
                                                set value of field "Pages" of
thePub to thePages
                                        end if
                                end if
                        end if
                end if
        end repeat
end tell

Though a good script should have several checks for validity and try block to
handle problems. You may compare sample scripts that do all kinds of things
from the Wiki (for instance I have some scripts there that can update items
from Spires or arXiv.)

Christiaan