On Jan 8, 2013, at 17:00, John Wickerson wrote:

> Hi BibDesk,
>
> What is the "right" way to handle the following use-case?
>
> I have a master .bib file, contain full details for every entry. This version
> is ideal for my PhD thesis, which has no word limit (at least not in the
> bibliography).
>
> But when I'm writing a conference paper, I have to condense the bibliography
> to fit inside a strict page limit. To do this, I copy all the entries I want
> into a new .bib file, and manually delete all the page numbers, editors'
> names, and so on, and use shortened forms of journal and conference names.
>
> The result is that I now have two .bib files, one with full details, and one
> that is abbreviated. This is obviously bad, as it's hard to keep the two
> in-sync. So what's the "right" way to handle this situation in BibDesk?
>
> Thanks very much for your help.
>
> john

This is not the way you should handle this. The idea about bibtex is that you
have one set of bibliography information that's complete. How it is presented
should depend on the bibtex style you're using. For journals, you then use
macros, with the definitions for these macros defined in the style file, which
can be either full or abbreviated, e.g. use plain.bst or abbrev.bst.