Mike,

Personally I'm in favor of getting strict with the 3-foot passing rule. But
that law should be applied uniformly.

Just the other day I was passing a parked car, so I made sure to leave enough
room when passing. Of course, the motorist behind was upset that I was 'taking
up the whole lane' - he honked, and then buzzed past me. So that he could get
to the red light a little bit sooner.

So we get it coming and going - If you try to ride responsibly you risk getting
nailed by motorists who don't. I wonder if the cop in this case is aware of
this.

I propose that the Madison police department spend a month actively enforceing
the 3-foot rule in *all* circumstances. I'd be happy if they just gave warnings
instead of tickets. Then prepare a report indicating how many violations they
observed.

-d
--
=====