Report from the Eastwood "Park" festivities.....

-Mike

From: "tjanmcmahon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Mailing-List: list [EMAIL PROTECTED]; contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 15:18:40 -0000
Subject: [einpc] Great Park! Great Party!

EASTWOOD PARK

Whoohoo! Thursday night EASTWOOD PARK was a reality—the grill
sizzled along with the conversation about what this fabulous stretch of
land could be before the little ones reach 3rd grade. While the
resurfacing equipment slept, over 80-100 children, women and men,
families, couples, singles, and housemates gathered with pot-luck dishes
overflowing the table space.

It was an incredible sight to see neighborhood kids riding their
unicycles, kicking balls, skipping rope and playing together—on the
same street that is dangerous for adults to cross when it is
open—while our newly acquainted residents and business owners
chatted in lawn chairs.  Visions of the park filled conversations—of
community gardens, CSA incubator space, a nature center with the geology
of our area and lakes, prairie plantings, a play ground, and ice skating
rink, a small dog park, a permanent tent structure for neighborhood
events…it was an incredible sight to dream.

We have Central Park on Main Street and Yahara Park just a few blocks
over, but the neighborhood's response Thursday night told us that
"Eastwood Park" is "the geographical glue" that binds
our communities together. Its history as a park (prior to 1980) is so
well integrated into the community fabric that it took only two days
notice on list-serves and community forums to bring the large gathering
together.

The vision of Eastwood Park is real, it is current and there are
challenges to be worked through—together.  The safety and
tranquility of every neighborhood is important, especially the small
"slices" that are vulnerable to the concessions of a larger
process.  What works for one, must work for all, door to door and across
every street.  It will take a lot of listening, creativity—never a
shortage of that in East Isthmus' District 6—and problem
solving.

The new surface on Eastwood is projected to last approximately five
years. That gives us time to organize ourselves, listen, create, solve,
and develop a proposal.

Thank you everyone who came out to catch the vision, eat delicious food
and meet new neighbors. Thank you to neighbors who have been incubating
this and related ideas and to Alder Rummell, the Mayor and the Common
Council who continue to encourage us all to be involved in our great
city.

Keep your eyes open for the next Eastwood Park event and information
gathering, and in the meantime (at this writing) Eastwood is closed for
the weekend. If you haven't already—head on over and catch the
vision too!

Twink Jan-McMahon and Jo Schilling