Snowmobiles did not cause any of the damage in question, nor was it caused
exclusively by bicyclists. The condition of the trail might be better described
as rutted and postholed, the former by bikes, the latter by pedestrians.

Here’s an example of what I’m referring to when I write “postholed” (though in
snow in this photo):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mababo/24314791136/
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/mababo/24314791136/>

Trail users in Verona have, in the last couple of years, shown an exceptional
lack of consideration for the trail surface. There might be something in the
municipal water supply that causes this behavior, but it could also be that the
trail segments in question tend to be low and not well drained, tending to stay
wet for quite a while.

The whole debate about whether to pave the section between PB and Verona (and
beyond?) centers on whether snowmobiles would then be allowed to use the trail
because it’s paved. My understanding is that they are not generally allowed on
pavement (the Badger north of Purcell would be one example) because studded
tracks and carbide-shod skis can easily pit and gouge the pavement surface if
there’s inadequate snow. Even so, they *are* allowed to use the paved section
east of PB to the snowmobile gate to connect to a system of private trails,
presumably because there isn’t another good place to cross the 18/151 bypass.

Whether or not we agree with the existence of snowmobiles, they are a fellow
user group that exists and they contribute at least as much as we do through
tax revenue and user fees. In addition to using the rail trails to get places,
they use them to connect to a large network of private trails. Telling them to
step off would be the moral equivalent of motorists telling us to get off of
"their" roads.

The two most obvious solutions would be to pave the trail and allow snowmobile
access on that section, or to do some kind of community education in the hope
of keeping users off the trail when it’s soft.

Michael Lemberger
Madison

> On Sat Apr 16 14:24:24 PDT 2016, Rob wrote:

I think it's worth pointing out that the Military Ridge State Trail is not a
bike trail. It's a multi-use trail that allows bikes and bicyclists.

I don't think singling out certain types of trail users and casting blame is a
good way to address problems with the trail. Are the ruts we're discussing even
caused by the snowmobiles? Presumably the trail surface is frozen when they're
out. The ruts are probably from cyclists using the trail when it's too wet --
maybe we are to blame for more damage than the snowmobiles.

And let's be realistic: cyclists are never going to ouster snowmobilers in
Wisconsin (though global warming may eventually do it anyway). Instead, we
should work to find a compromise that makes the trail accessible to the largest
number of people and activities possible. If that means more regular trail
grooming instead of paving out through Verona, great. If it means we pave
through Verona, and snowmobiling happens between Verona and Mt. Horeb, great.
I'm just happy this resource exists for everyone.

I see a lot of comments on newsfeeds and articles saying that cyclists as a
group have no place in X location or on Y street. I'd love for this group to
learn from the vitriol that we, as cyclists, experience and try to avoid doing
the same to others.

Best, Rob