On 17.06.15 22:39, Shawn Zhou wrote:
BIND on my resolvers reaches the max open file limit and I am getting lots
of SERVFAILs
http://pastebin.com/SxRsHLff

After I increased the max-socks (-s 8192) to 8192, I no longer saw the file
limit error from the log anymore; however, I am still many SERVFAILs.

no other errors?

Our resolvers were doing about 15k queries per seconds when this was
happening and those were legit traffic.  I am aware that I am setting
recursive clients to a very high number.  Those resolvers are running on
12-cores cpu and 24G RAM hardware.  cpu utilization was at about 20% and
plenty of RAM left.

I am wondering if I've reached the limit of BIND for the amount of
recursive queries it can serve.  Any other tunings I should try?

maybe changing number of recursive-clients, max-clients-per-query.

Does EDNS work for you? EDNS problems often result to increased number of
TCP queries which slows down resolution ...

By the way, the resolvers are running RHEL 6.x.

precise BIND version would help a bit more... seems RH6.6 contains 9.8.2 but
that may be different for older RH6 versions.

LSD will make your ECS screen display 16.7 million colors