On 07.04.17 07:36, Mark Knight wrote:
I've just noticed (after the slave zones expired), that the root name servers have been refusing my zone transfer requests since the end of March.

My confirm is per the standard named.conf example, e.g.:

zone "." {
       type slave;
       file "/usr/local/etc/namedb/slave/root.slave";
       masters {
               192.5.5.241;    // F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
       };
       allow-query { localnets; };
       notify no;
};

1. are you sure you need slaving the root? most of clients doesn't...

2. there are ~13 servers for root zone. did you check on more of them?
Windows found: (R)emove, (E)rase, (D)elete