On 04/07/17 09:21, Tony Finch wrote:
Mark Knight <li...@knigma.org> wrote:

I've just noticed (after the slave zones expired), that the root name servers
have been refusing my zone transfer requests since the end of March.

This is because Cloudflare are now helping isc.org to host
f.root-servers.net, and the Cloudflare instances don't allow zone
transfers.

https://lists.dns-oarc.net/pipermail/dns-operations/2017-March/016150.html

I have switched to transferring the root zone from k.root-servers.net.

ICANN has "sanctioned" servers for doing root zone transfers that are separate from the root DNS servers. See:

http://www.dns.icann.org/services/axfr/

It's probably better to use the servers listed there (although they do appear to be US-centric), to avoid having to deal with changes akin to f-root.

michael